Roving in the August 5GHz and 10GHz UKuG Contest

Conditions for the August 5/10GHz contest were really poor and but I still managed 7 QSO's on 10GHz (3cm). For a change I re-visited the Pink Road layby at Lacey Green (IO91OQ). This is not a particularly radio friendly site being a farm gate with razor wire and very uneven ground. At least it was a calm dry Sunday afternoon. It was a bit windy so I just used the 60cm dish on 3cm. I'd forgotten how high the hedges were and I only brought one 1.5m pole so the aerials were not as high as they needed to be. This caused a few challenges in some directions! I used the WiMo Big Wheel and the IC-9700 for 2m talkback.

Low Dishes and High Hedges at Lacey Green

First QSO in the log was with Dave G4RGK just down the road in Marlow (IO91ON, 14km) followed by Martyn G3ZME/P on Brown Clee (IO82QL, 154km) then Bernie G4HWA in Northampton (IO92ME, 57km). Finally I worked Keith GW3TKH/P on the Blorenge for my ODX (IO81LS, 156km). There is an Equestrian Centre nearby and unfortunately a horse seemed to get majorly spooked by my dishes and refused at one point to walk by, eventually it moved past OK. Other than this incident the afternoon was largely uneventful. 

I then roved west to Britwell Hill (IO91LO) where I worked Barry G4SJH/P (IO91GI, 41km) then David M0GHZ (IO81VK,84km) and G4HWA for a second time. Unusually the farm gate was open so I set-up just to the side to allow the farmer to drive in/out!


GHz Fun At Britwell Hill Looking South West

On 5GHz (6cm) it was great to get the SSB gear working again using the Pluto SDR and a new replacement USB Relay. This resulted in 5 QSO's. At Lacey Green I worked G6ZME/P for my ODX at 154km then Neil G4BRK (IO91HP, 41km) and Dave G1EHF/P who was also at Walbury Hill with Barry. At Britwell Hill I worked G1EHF/P again and M0GHZ. Conditions were not great plus plus there was the usual band noise. Overall it was fun to be out again in dry conditions, and to enjoy some fresh air and hilltop views!