October UKuG 24GHz Adventure to IO92!

For the last 24/47/76GHz contest of the year I decided to try some new sites for a change and go on a bit of an adventure, up north! The main objective was to attempt to work Steve G1PPA in Lincolnshire who was using the 24GHz 2W UKuG loan kit. I typically rove between sites in IO91 and IO81 and it was enjoyable (and somewhat exotic) to try some new sites in IO91 and at the top end of IO91. Also to hear GB3CAM on 24GHz for the first time.

Site 1: Therfield (IO92XA03)

It was great to work John G4BAO three times from each location I roved to: Therfield, Barkway and then Buckland. Also very pleased to work Keith G4ODA for the first time on 24GHz, from Therfield at 82km for my ODX of the day. 

Site 2: Barkway (IO92XA92)

Locations visited included:
  1. Kelshall Topps layby, Therfield (IO92XA03WV, 159m ASL)
  2. The Joint, Barkway next to GB3PI (IO92XA92RK, 153m ASL)
  3. Buckland (IO91XX87NK, 139m ASL)
The last contact with John at Buckland was particularly weak and difficult and completed via CW over 33km. This local QSO was heavily obstructed by the terrain with my location 20m or so below the chalk ridge with lots of trees. John was very pleased to finally work IO91 square and this enabled him to achieve the UKuG 5 squares award on 24GHz.

Band conditions were not good and unfortunately I failed to work Steve G1PPA/P from Therfield and Barkway, the 132km path to Mavis Enderby in JO03AE just wouldn't go. My equipment consisted of an IC-9700 70cm IF with a converted Nortel ODU, 30cm PF dish at 2m on a tripod and just 250mW. 

Site 3: Buckland (IO91XX87)

I continue to be most grateful to Mike Willis G0MJW for the continued loan of his 24GHz kit, which has enabled me to continue my experimentation and have a lot of fun making contacts on this super interesting band. I'm looking forward to more QSO's on 24GHz in 2023!