May SHF UKAC from Lacey Green

It was a warm sunny evening up at Pink Road, Lacey Green for the May SHF UKAC. With my 13cm kit out of action with various issues, I just packed 6cm WBFM and 3cm. I also took 9cm but with no 70cm SSB IF making any QSO's was going to be difficult. It was to be a night of indulgence on the two higher bands!

On 6cm WBFM (helped by the loan of a telescopic mast and bigger 1M TP-Link Grid dish from Jules M0UGA) I completed 3 easy 91km QSO's over to Cleeve Hill (IO91XW) with Matt 2E0MDJ/P, Stew G0LGS/P and Dave G4FRE/P a welcome visitor their end! Signals were huge and the QSO's completed very easily. Certainly 6cm WBFM is the cheapest, easiest and one of the most satisfying GHZ bands to get operational on using simple Chinese FPV drone modules.

Sunset at Pink Road, Lacey Green (IO91OQ)

I tried 9cm using the Baofeng NBFM handheld as the 70cm IF and heard carriers from both G3WJG and also M0GHZ, but was not surprised with zero QSO's. My only real hopes were G4BRK and G8CUL who were not QRV that evening.

3cm SSB worked well and I managed a pleasing 6 QSO's with the 3 stations on Cleeve Hill worked on 6cm WBFM, plus G4CLA, G4LDR and M0GHZ (IO81VK) my ODX at 102Km. Overall a very pleasant evening playing GHZ at one of my favourite locations atop the Chilterns, and I plan to return later in the year for some more fun.