Autumn Afternoon Visiting 2 New Sites with 24GHz

For the final 24/47GHz contest of the year in October, I decided to visit a few different sites, not sure if they were the best choices, but I do get bored going to the same sites! Sometimes it not only about the km points! To start with I headed to Lane End, IO81JA47AR and 162m high near Winchester. The site is a quiet (other than the occasional motorbike and fast cars whizzing by) and rather desolate lonely place, quite close to Cheesefoot Head (IO91JB00NV) and 173m which is another popular GHz site just up the road

Lane End is a layby with a 360-degree horizon view only interrupted by a few large trees. The site is right next to a covered reservoir that serves about 12 local farms and houses. Whilst I was there it was visited by an inspector lady from the Water company who was checking levels. Its unfortunately full of contaminated water from chemicals that have leached into the aquifer. Over winter it will be drained and a new borehole has been drilled and a pipe is being laid. I think the site may well be unusable for some time due to all the ground work. 

Lane End pointing North West to Coombe Gibbet

On arrival I called Phil G0JBA who was at Farthing Common (JO01MC69EK) some 158kms to the East. We tried on 24GHz but nothing was heard. Both Barry G4SJH/P and Dave G1EHF/P on Coombe Gibbet were worked easily at 41km. Nothing was heard from Stockbridge as its blocked to Lane End. Whilst onsite I soon discovered I'd left my tiny 30cm 47GHz dish behind, very frustrating and bizarre. Normally its only a cable! So that put an end to a 47GHz QSO with Dave and my plans to visit John G8ACE/P and Noel G8GTZ/P and who were at Stockbridge to try the 27km path on back to at Coombe Gibbet. 

Hackpen Farm Gate looking South East to Coombe Gibbet

For my 2nd stop I drove over to Hackpen to try and work Martyn GZME/P on Brown Clee, but he had packed up earlier whilst I was on route! So I found a farm gate (IO91CL22PO) and 266m high, about 100m before the car park. It had a lovely view back to Gibbet 26km away and the path went easy. I tried with John and Noel who were still around the Stockbridge/Chute Causeway area playing with optical stuff, but paths on 24GHz were blocked. I was pleased to work Dave and Barry again on 24GHz. It was a lovely sunny afternoon and I got the flask out and chilled-out with a brew whilst Barry moved to Lane End. I quite fancied a go at the 60km path. However my plans were disrupted again this time by the farmer and his gamekeeper who drove up in their 4x4 and asked me to move on. A shoot was starting at 5pm. I quickly packed up and with the M4 closed I made my way cross-country back home. 

Overall despite everything not going to plan, and managing only 4 QSO's on 24GHz, I quite enjoyed trying out some new locations in the autumn sunshine!