Half An Hour /P On 24GHz!

It was the last 24GHz Cumulative of the year and I was determined to escape /P for a quick QSO, in-between a busy Sunday morning of DIY and gardening!


The weather was gloriously sunny with a thick morning mist and there was high pressure over the UK with fantastic EU tropo on VHF/UHF.  Lots of 10GHz EU beacons were visible on the Farnham SDR. 
Pointing SSW from Remenham Hill

IO91KF to IO91NM Path Profile (Source: HeyWhatsThat)

Really pleased to give the gear another outing and put another score on the board in the UKuG Cumulative contest.

I drove the 10 minutes to my local QSO spot which is Remenham Hill just East of Henley-On-Thames. After a short walk along a bridleway to my usual farm gate location. I set up the 24GHz gear with the FT-790R Mk1 70cm IF, and tuned around for Dave G1EHF/P who was at Farleigh Lane just south of Basingstoke (IO91KF42UG), so 208 degrees from me. 

We quickly found each other and switched to NBFM to complete a nice simple contact, both at strong signals, over a 40km path. We switched to SSB and we were both chirpy probably due more to my LO. The Nortel ODU transverter unit had not been powered-up for long and usually prefers about 15 minutes to settle.

I had to rush back home so only time for one QSO and half an hour /P on 24GHz, apologies to Noel G8GTZ/P and Barry G4SJH/P who were up at Walbury Hill - I'd packed up just as they were setting-up.