Test with Noel G8GTZ/P in Basingstoke

After a morning of heavy rain, I popped out for a quick test to try and work Noel G8GTZ/P, located just South of Basingstoke in IO91KF.  This is about a 40km path from Knowl Hill Common IO91OM my local /P spot which is nearby to my home QTH in Wargrave IO91NL.  

Almost immediately I could hear Noel's 5W and 60cm dish signal at about 5-1 on FM, and very readable on SSB.  Unfortunately Noel could only just detect and copy my FM carrier and could only hear me weakly on SSB - so another "half a QSO" with my current 200mW and 60cm dish set-up!! 

Strangely, Noel was a stronger signal with the dish pointing 195 degrees rather than the 215 degrees direct path.  This could have been reflections or scatter from the GB3BN 70cm Bracknell repeater tower in Binfield, which is in that direction on the horizon.

After packing-up, I roved to a point about 10 minutes away and 0.5km North on the other side of the A4.  Here there is a slightly higher E-W ridge which overlooks the previous site, that is accessible on foot from the top of a un-made road called "Lutman's Haven".  We tried again to make a QSO, and although Noel seemed slightly stronger at this second location, we failed to make a 2-way contact.  

From both locations I could hear GB3SEE on 10368.850MHz in IO91VG, which is 50km distant, at a solid 5-9 signal.

Noel kindly offered to take a look at my kit and check that everything is running at optimum power both in and out of the DB6NT MK2 transverter, which would be most appreciated!   I will try and pop down to meet Noel in the coming weeks, and certainly before the next SHF UKAC when I plan to be active from Coombe Hill, in West Berkshire.  

Many thanks to Noel for trying the path today, and I am sure we will work each other on 3cm soon.  Its great to finally find someone in IO91 who is fairly local and who can help get the best performance out of my 10GHz system.  Onwards and upwards!