Devils Dyke Adventure on 6cm and 3cm

Devils Dyke, 217m ASL on the South Downs (IO90VV) is a site I'd always wanted to try out. So for the June SHF, Jules M0UGA and I drove around the M25 and down the M23 in our cars, stopping off first to visit nearby Truleigh Hill and Ditchling Beacon.

It was great to arrive in the afternoon with plenty of time to set-up. The National Trust car park was busy with plenty of people curious as to what we were doing! In fact everyone was well behaved and socially distanced, enjoying picnics in small groups. A visit by an ice cream van was a particular highlight!

G1DFL/P at Devils Dyke IO90VV

For the first hour of the contest I struggled to work anyone on 3cm. I was desperate to work out the frequency offset as my 3cm DB6NT G2 is not yet locked. Eventually I found the GB3SEE Reigate beacon on the ridge opposite (IO91VG, 42Km) at a very loud 59 signal but with the dial frequency 27KHz low of the actual. To add fun to the proceedings as the temperature dropped during the evening my system drifted from -24KHz to -22KHz. 

Fantastic 180-degreee horizon view

Knowing the 3cm system offset, suddently I was more successful and 3 QSO's followed with Keith G4ODA (IO92WS, 208Km), John G4ZTR (JO01KW, 138Km) and David M0GHZ (IO81VK, 152Km). A good first outing with the 1M Gibertini Offset Dish. I was particularly pleased to get G4ZTR in the 3cm log for the first time after several attempts from various locations.

On 6cm SSB with the Pluto SDR, Yellow FPV Amp and borrowing Jule's 1M Grid Dish, I easily worked Anthony G7LRQ (IO91TQ, 88Km) and M0GHZ (IO81VK, 152Km).


bbfbfb
A magical evening playing GHz 

On 13cm Jules M0UGA/P had a busy evening with 19 QSO's, with Denis G3UVR (IO83KH, 335Km) as ODX. Despite only a handful of QSO's on the higher and less popular 3cm and 6cm bands, it was a very enjoyable outing. It was great to go somewhere completely different for a change. My moonlit picture made the cover of the September 2020 RadCom!