Quick Dash in The Snow on 10GHz!

It was a snowy wintery moonlit cold night and -6.5C. After missing the January SHF UKAC because of a rain storm I was determined to get out and grab some much needed points for the Drowned Rats!  

So I packed just the 3cm gear into the car and drove through icy conditions the 10 minutes north to Rememham Hill (IO91NM). Arriving onsite at just before 10pm I found my normal roadside lay-by blocked with an HGV and a van. I elected to try my alternative site which involves off road parking and a short walk up a bridleway/footpath to a farm gate which has clear views to the SE and SW. 

Wintery conditions on Remenham Hill

After setting-up, I found GB3SEE the Reigate beacon which was a reassuring marker at 53 to 55 and worked out my dial offset which was 6kc high. The ON4KST chat seemed very quiet and I tried with Dave M0GHZ (IO81VK and 93km) but nothing was heard either way. 

I then picked out Neil G4LDR (IO91EC and 70km) in Salisbury and we worked easily for my first QSO on 3cm in 2018. Some quick tries with G4BAO and G3XDY before the contest ended at 10.30pm but again nothing heard. The alternative site has high trees to the N and NW which block signals in those directions.  It was, despite being chilly, nice to get out and start the GHz season with a successful trip albeit quick and local trip!