10 Contacts on 24GHz, including a VK!

On Sunday 17th September it was the third 24GHz/47GHz/76GHZ UK Microwave Group contest. After proving my loan gear worked with Dave G1EHF, I was determined to try and work some stations and learn a bit more about 24GHz propagation and operating on the higher bands. I'm fascinated by discovering how different the band performs compared to 10GHz.

None of my local sites near Reading that are within 15 to 45 mines drive were going to be good enough for 24GHz, so I decided to venture west over to Swindon about 1 hour and 15 minutes drive from Wargrave.  My plan was to try and work Roger G8CUB/P, Chris G0FDZ/P and Doug M/VK4OE/P who were going to be on Hackpen Hill just south of Swindon.  

24GHz Contest roving locations

The prospect of working my first VK on 24GHz was particularly appealing even if Doug was actually in the UK!  My plan was to provide some “local sport” for these 3 stations, in-between them working long distance over to GW-land.

Location 1 - G1DFL/P at Yattenden A4 
near Cherhill Down (IO91AK) 
looking NE towards Hackpen Hill
 
My first stop was a lay-by just off the Yattendon road near the A4 at Cherhill Down IO91AK (577ft or 175m ASL) which is about 9km SW and LOS of Hackpen. After quickly setting up I made contact with the team at Hackpen on 2m just using the FT817ND whip and we moved to 24GHz FM and all 3 Hackpen stations were worked at solid copy and strong signals. I was really pleased to get off to such a good start.

I packed up and drove to the next location Clyffe Pypard IO91BL (594ft or 181m ASL). The spot I chose here was on the top of the ridge near a field gate with fantastic views N and NW. I tried with Martyn G3ZME/P at Brown Clee (IO81LS) but nothing was heard. I swung the dish W and worked the Hackpen trio again at about 5km LOS, but this time signals were much weaker. My location was not in the clear and the view was obstructed by hedges and trees. Some of the QSO’s had to be via SSB but we made it again!

Lots of GHz kit on Hackpen Hill (IO91CL)

Finally I roved to Hackpen Hill IO91CL (879ft or 267m ASL) to a spot about 500m S along the Ridgeway track from the car park. It was great meeting up with Roger and his XYL Sue M6SUA, Chris and Doug. After spending some time admiring their amazing 24GHz, 47GHz and 76GHz works of art, I set-up my 24GHz station (FT790R IF and Nortel ODU 250mW with 30cm dish), nearby just along the path. 

Location 3 - G1DFL/P on
Hackpen Hill (IO91CL)
 
Everyone seemed to be curious, slightly amused and fascinated by my low-tech tripod mount. I haven’t sorted out a bracket for the transverter/dish (a project before the next contest). So everything sits rather precariously on a white plastic patio table atop my surveyors tripod. This is not great as the whole unit is slightly elevated and also makes pointing difficult. Despite it being very Heath-Robinson, it works!

I tried again with Martyn G3ZME/P but we could not find each other. John G8ACE/P was over at Cheesefoot Hill near Winchester and seemed to work the Hackpen trio fairly easily on SSB. I could hear John and he could hear me but my dish orientation was not helping things so Roger came over and provided some GHz expertise in steadying and pointing, and I managed to exchange details with John at a new ODX and PB of 67km! 

The Hackpen team started to call and work Keith GW3TKH/P and Pete GW4HQX/P on Cefn y Galchen car park on The Blorenge (IO81LS) on all three bands. Pointing W I was really impressed that I could hear both of them at moderate strength with some QSB on SSB at 93km.  I called a couple of times over to Keith and Pete but it was a bit half-hearted as I had to start packing up.  Before leaving I quickly worked all 3 stations on Hackpen from Hackpen to get a few more points, and was really pleased to achieve 10 24GHz QSO’s - albeit 9 of those with 3 stations from 3 locations! 

It was great not to have to use KST, all contacts were scheduled via the Microwave talkback frequency of 144.175MHz SSB. At some points during the day there were several conversations happening at the same time between QSO partners which meant that 144.155 to 144.185 were super busy! My 2M talkback station (FT817ND 100W HB9CV) proved essential for organising skeds. On 2M I heard Noel G8GTZ/P on Win Green (IO80WX) and Neil G4LDR/P on Charterhouse (IO81PH). If I’d have been able to stay longer on Hackpen (or have gone straight there) it would have been interesting to try those paths. 

Must say the 24GHz UKuG Contests are super fun and it was very satisfying to make some QSO's. I plan to venture out in October to have another play.  I may well try somewhere new like Dunstable Downs (IO91RU) to try and work some different stations.

Hackpen Hill is a truly fantastic GHz site and well worth a visit. The Ridgeway path was potholed and very muddy almost needing a 4x4. It was also very busy with about 300 students of Marlborough College hiking past on a 20km charity walk!  I’d love to try 3cm from there. Maybe next time I visit Wiltshire to play GHz.