Sunday Afternoon on Streatley Hill

For the 2nd 10GHz UKuG Cumulative contest on Sunday 26th June, I decided to try a new site at Streatley Hill.  This location is called Lough Down accessed via the Lardon Chase car park.  NT-owned, this hill is just to the west of the 'Goring Gap', where the River Thames cuts through the Chiltern Ridge.

Looking at the HeyWhatsThat path profiler, on paper it looked like a good spot to try and reach Noel G8GTZ/P at Hannigton (IO91JH) and maybe the Combe Gibberlets group M0HNA/P on Walbury Hill (IO91GI).

The challenge with finding a decent spot on the Chiltern Ridge is that wherever you go there are nearly always lots of trees and hedges obstructing views.  Unfortunately this was the case at this site.  The takeoff was great S to SE and the GB3SEE beacon (IO91VG) in Reigate was soon found at good strength on 10368.850MHz at 70km, but SW and W were blocked.

After a quick 'CQ Microwave Contest' call on the 2M talk-back frequency of 144.175MHz, Noel was easily worked on 3cm at 24km.  I find 2M talk-back to be absolutely essential on 3cm /P, and I could hear Noel chatting to M0HNA/P and also trying to work Brian G4NNS in Andover.  I tried with M0HNA/P on 3cm and I could just hear their dots, but they could not hear me.

The mobile data signal was unusually good, and I logged into ON4KST chat and tried to work Stewart G0LGS/P on Brown Clee, but the path W was also blocked.

I had more problems with the pan tilt head on the tripod (a more robust mechanical solution is needed), the 2M amplifier did not seem to be working that well (despite testing prior to going out) and I need to make a small repair to my 2M HB9CV.

After about an hour or so onsite it started to rain so I packed-up! This site had a long walk in and out, and with lots of heavy kit that wasn't great.  Being a NT site there were tonnes of Muggles inquiring about what I was doing - which I don't mind explaining - but typically folks were walking by asking questions just as a QSO was trying to be completed!

Pleased to get another 3cm QSO, but I wont be going back to Streatley Hill.  I will continue my hunt for useful microwave sites in IO91, but there does not seem to be that many really useful ones within a one hour drive of my home QTH in Wargrave!